Having been a recipient of food banks recently, I have noticed a few things they need to help those who need it most. It’s the holidays so likely you’re going to be donating a few canned goods to your local food bank or charities. Here’s a few pointers:
– if you donate cans, think about donating can openers; how are homeless people supposed to open the cans? I had to buy one and that was a dollar that I could have put in my gas tank.
– take your plastic bags or small boxes (to carry the food in)
– just because it’s a canned food drive, doesn’t mean you can only donate canned food. Think about donating foods that don’t have to be cooked/microwaved; most poor or homeless people don’t have those luxuries, especially if they are living in their car or on the streets.
– donate healthy items; many people who visit food pantries are diabetic or should be on special diets.
– donate toiletries like deodorant, hand sanitizer, lotion, toothpaste, soap, etc. those things are also needed items people don’t think about donating.
– gas cards; the organizers can give them to those who are struggling and need gas to get to their jobs, daycare, etc. not everyone has access to public transportation. I found this was one thing I needed that most charities couldn’t help with.
I can think of a million other things that homeless or less fortunate people could use that charities don’t provide, but that will be another article for another day.
Hopefully that’ll give you an idea of the things you can donate to help the less fortunate. Have a blessed holiday!